Monday, January 6, 2014

Family First


Aloha! Welcome to the Kauai Bliss Photography blog. Please also visit website www.kauaiblissphoto.com to book Portrait Sessions, Weddings and more! Mahalo!!

Happy New Year! I genuinely love New Year's because it's new beginnings and plans for the future but January also offers a break after the holidays to reflect on the past year too.

I have really loved family portraits this year. Particularly it is the young families that draw me. These families are young and starting out, and the investment in family portraits can be a small sacrifice. My mother and father had my brother and I very young, and it was my Grandmother that insisted on professional family portraits every year. Professional photography isn't cheap and although I make an effort to make my services affordable, the price can seem high. This last holiday season I did run a promotion for our local families and I was really happy when clients took advantage of the special to build their family legacy.

Nowadays digital photography and our telephones have made it super easy for parents to capture priceless expressions and candid moments themselves. These images are important, they are candids, but I fear that this type of candid documentary will leave a generation without the keepsakes of archival printed portraits.

This Christmas I received a box of old photos from my sister in law, both the official Olan Mills portraits per Grandma as well as candids from an old point and shoot camera my Mom had. They are all dear mementos. The candids are all tinted funny colors now but the Olan Mills prints were largely unaffected by the elements of age and could have been from yesterday (with exception to the apparel and hairstyles.)

Professional printing offers archival images, the print does not fade and the dyes do not oxidize.
I am glad that my Grandma took the time and invested in those Olan Mills sessions. I am so grateful to have these images today, happy that they are still vibrant. My mother is too, at the time she didn't fully understand the vision her mother had but the candids in her collections are the photos that our families memories are preserved in. They both have their special place in the visual story of my childhood.

A few child portraits from one of my favorite holiday sessions last month:
Darian and Brandon's little girl Avory will be 2 years old this month. In 40 years when she looks at these images I know how much they will mean to her, Darian and Brandon have the vision of their family's legacy. I'm not sure what technology will bring or how it will change in the meantime but I hope that Instagram and Facbook is not going to be how we create a family's legacy or scrapbook a child's accomplishments.
























Love&Lifestyle Photographer Heather Ransley lives on Kauai and owns Kauai Bliss Photography, based in Koloa Hawaii, on the south shore of Kauai. Kauai photographer Heather Ransley specializes in Kauai portrait and  Kauai family photography, Kauai wedding photography, Kauai Fine Art Photography and Kauai lifestyle photography. Please visit kauaiblissphoto.com to see more Kauai photography, Aloha! kauaiblissphoto.com

No comments:

Post a Comment